What do you wish you could see, hear, read, or experience for the first time all over again? (TV SHOW SPOILERS)

    During the pandemic, I had so much new time because I wasn't going anywhere or doing anything. Especially in the first few months. This is when I got really into K-dramas. K-drama as in Korean TV shows that range from romantic comedies to thrillers to fantasy. I would watch an entire season in just three days and I discovered so many good dramas, both old and new. Since I started watching K-dramas, I've counted over 77 finished ones and at least 30 more that I got about 10 episodes into before dropping. Don't worry, it sounds concerning even to me. I promise you I do other things outside of watching K-dramas...

    I love K-dramas because they bring out my emotions and are a good way to destress after a long day of work. However, I rarely rewatch dramas because there it is not as emotionally wrecking when I know what the plot is. The whole point of dramas, in general, is to keep you on your seat and have constant cliffhangers at the end of episodes so you binge-watch the rest of the season. (SPOILER) For example, I just watched this drama called Hometown Cha Cha Cha on Netflix and it was one of the best dramas I have watched this year. It was a slice-of-life, romance, and comedy all in one with great chemistry among the cast. However, I think the reason I was so invested in this show was because of the constant plot twists and new conflicts introduced before the end of the episode. Then I had to wait an entire week for the next episode. Now, I dare to rewatch the show because I don't want to ruin that first impression I had and lower my opinion of the show. I have tried to rewatch good shows before, but I can't get past a few episodes because that excitement of the unknown isn't there. 

    I would love to go back to the time before I watched a lot of my favorite dramas: Extraordinary You, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo, Reply 1988, Thirty But Seventeen, Start-Up. The dramas that caught my attention were the ones that made me smile at the good parts and cry at the sad parts. I remember for Start-Up, I was watching it in my room at like 12:30 p.m. tears running down my face 20 minutes into the first episode because the little kid was raised by his grandma when his parents passed. It brought me back to when I went to my grandpa's funeral when I was younger, but through this, I felt more connected to the character and more invested in the drama. In Thirty But Seventeen, the ending was a big plot twist that connected the main characters' broken backstories when they were kids and it was just emotion overload. Besides the sad moments, watching the romance story between either the main characters or the side characters makes me so happy and frustrated all at the same time. You just can't get those genuine feelings again if you know how their relationship plays out. Obviously, in most K-dramas, I know the main leads get together, but their ups and downs throughout the episodes still make me worried that it won't happen. A lot of the time while watching any show, I tend to get bored after the couple gets together, so it makes sense that rewatching a show when I know when and how a couple gets together is not fun for me. Similarly with death scenes in action dramas, no matter how convincing it is, if I know the character will or will not die because I watched it before, that thrilling moment is gone and the drama isn't fun anymore.

    To be completely honest, I don't know why I have this attachment to K-dramas over American dramas, but I think the shows are executed well and not as dragged on as American shows with like 30 episodes and 8 seasons. I also have this pull to them because of my ethnic culture as a Korean myself. Through watching so many shows during the pandemic, my Korean understanding has gotten substantially better and I can even speak a little bit. As much as I would like to recommend my favorite dramas that I would love to watch again for the first time, I think that everyone's tastes are vastly different and you may not think the same about a show as I did. The first impression of a K-drama is so important in deciding whether or not you would watch another because of how magical it can be. But if you let me know what type of genre you like, I would gladly give you some recommendations!


RECOMMENDED KDRAMAS IN EACH GENRE (This list is not super extensive and I actually haven't watched the thriller ones because that's not my preference, but I know they are good if you are into that):

Action: Vagabond, Vincenzo, Itaewon Class, My Name

Historical: 100 Days of Prince, Tale of Nokdu, The King's Affection

Romantic-Comedy: Because This Is My First Life, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo, Reply 1988 (Family-comedy)

School (Rom-com): Extraordinary You, School 2017, True Beauty, Heirs

Dark Comedy/Thriller/Mystery: Sky Castle, Penthouse S1/2/3, Extracurricular

Fantasy: While You Were Sleeping, Bride of the Water God, Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (Goblin), W – Two Worlds



Comments

  1. 77, I am truly impressed at that number. Personally, I have only ever seen 2 kdramas, but they were among my favorite shows I have ever seen and I've rewatched one of them tons of times. It's really cool that watching all this Korean media improved your Korean. I would expect as such since you're immersing yourself and it's content you're actually interested in, but it's still cool to hear. After college apps season I'll have to start taking your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only watched a handful of K-dramas in my life and I am notoriously bad at finishing shows, so 77 finished shows has me truly impressed. I love the structure of this post and I enjoy your style of writing. I've been meaning to watch some of the recommendations that you've listed, so I'm hoping that I'll get around to that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the same draw to watch K-dramas, I want to understand Korean better too. I can't even imagine how much time it would have taken to watch 77 dramas. One of the main reasons I don't watch many is because of the length of the episodes, it's such a time commitment. I do understand the pull to them because of Korean culture, though,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts